How to wipe your tech devices before selling them
If you are looking to sell any of your tech devices, you may be worried about what data might be left on it. Hidden files, fragments of code that may lead to sensitive information, such as your personal details or even financial information. So, how do you wipe your tech before selling it?
Before you sell your device you’ll want to ensure that all of this information has been fully deleted.
Below you will find our guide for each device, how to fully delete it and reset it back to the factory settings.
These instructions assume you have already backed up your data. Once you follow these processes your data is gone and there is no going back. So, please unsure you already have all your important information saved elsewhere.
How to wipe an iPhone, iPod or iPad
Some simple practices to follow when you want to wipe an iPod, iPad or iPhone to sell.
- Sign out of iCloud, iTunes and the App Store. Press Settings, then click your name, scroll down to the bottom and press sign out. You will then be prompted to enter your sign in details for your iCloud.
- Go to: Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Contents and Settings. If you have activated “find my device” you will need to enter your iCloud details and your passcode once again.
- Remove your old device from your list of trusted devices from your iCloud account page.
How to erase data on Android devices
- System > Advanced > Reset Options.
- You will find a choice of a few options “Reset, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth,” “Reset App Preferences,” “Erase all data (Factory Reset)”.
- Erase all data (factory reset) will give you a warning that all information on this phone will be deleted.
- If you have a pin or passcode you will be asked to enter it to clarify your decision.
- Finally you will be asked one final time if you are sure you want to delete all data and reset the device.
How to wipe tech like Apple Mac computers
1. If you are on MacOS Mojave or earlier the first step is to sign out of iTunes. Do this by going to: Account > Authorisation > De-authorise device. You will be asked to enter your iCloud details to de-link this account.
2. If you are on MacOS Catalina or later, you’ll need to sign out of your iCloud. Apple Menu > System Preferences > then click Apple ID. Select Overview in the sidebar. Then click Sign Out.
If you’re using macOS Mojave or earlier, choose: Apple Menu > System Preferences > iCloud > Sign Out.
3. Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P and R. Release the keys after about 20 seconds. This will clear user settings from the memory and restore certain security features that may have been altered previously.
4. Start up from macOS Recovery: turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold Command (⌘) and R until you see an Apple logo or other image.
5. From the utilities window, select Disk Utility and click Continue.
- Select Macintosh HD in the sidebar of Disk Utility.
- Click the Erase button in the toolbar, choose Macintosh HD. Format into APFS or Mac OS Extended.
- Click Erase Volume Group. If you can’t see this button, click Erase instead.
- After the erase process has been completed, select any other internal volumes in the sidebar, then click the delete volume (–) button in the toolbar to delete that volume.
- If you want to start up again from the disk you’ve erased, select Reinstall MacOS in the utilities window. Then click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions to Reinstall the MacOS.
How to wipe and reset Windows computers and laptops
- Go into Settings > Updates and Security > Recovery > Reset this PC.
- Press Remove everything.
- Change settings option.
- Turn on data erasure toggle switch.
- Confirm > Next > Reset.
Once you have completed this process your device will be clear of all data and ready to sell.
How to erase all data from your tech or wipe it before selling conclusion
Erasing data or doing a factory reset is fairly easy on today’s modern operating systems.Therefore, being able to wipe tech devices is a simple process.
If you have any trouble with these processes you can find software repairs and factory reset repairs under each device page on our website. Hit the button below to find your phone, computer, laptop or tablet that you need help with erasing data and get your device ready for sale.